13 May 2013

Empty streets of noon with some sparkles of life

Sunday afternoon at the peak of the hot season; clear, bright, blue skies above, my tiny shadow below, my camera hanging from my neck and my forehead sweating. But I feel like walking the empty streets and see what there is to see around. With slow steps, I walk the silent alleys and take some simple pictures. There is no movement, just stillness. So I simply walk, stop, shoot, drink, and  resume my soothing walk.

Hibernating, GH3 + Lumix G Vario 35-100mm

 Unwelcome, GH3 + Lumix G Vario 35-100mm


Color behind bars, GH3 + Lumix G Vario 35-100mm

At the end of a long, quiet soi there was a temple; I was expecting to find traces of saffron, glimpses of a robe hiding in the shades, novices defying the sun or sweeping fallen leaves from the floor, perhaps a dog, dozing in the cold marble of the shrine. But I did not. Again, all I found was silence, lethargy, peace: echoes of human activity, here and there, and a single human figure walking away from me.

Laundry, GH3 + Lumix G Vario 35-100mm

Subtle steps, GH3 + Lumix G Vario 35-100mm

I reached the main road, and the noise of traffic reappeared. The smell of street food. The Seven Elevens. The pedestrian bridges. The BTS overhead line. And the homeless people waiting for a bit of charity along the long road.

Woman in a pink dress, GH3 + Lumix G Vario 35-100mm

Big, busy roads make me feel uncomfortable, as I need to be aware of the traffic and the passing people more than of the scenery and surroundings, thus not being able to really concentrate on photographing. I guess it's a question of practice, and maybe with time I will become faster at multitasking in crowded environments, but as of today, I rather walk in a quieter environment, where I can focus all my senses just in walking, observing, and capturing light and moments. So I got on the first bus that passed by, and got off a few minutes later at a much more sedated area.

 Curious peek, GH3 + Lumix G Vario 35-100mm


 Duplicated cables, GH3 + Lumix G Vario 35-100mm

Tools, GH3 + Lumix G Vario 35-100mm

Lots of harsh shadows and plenty of unperturbed time to see, think, and capture. I walked slowly, watching the urban furniture, and most of the times I saw myself thinking in black and white, again, reinforcing my appreciation for this tonal universe. But there is so much color in this world, that sometimes it's just needed to catch the essence of some realities.

 Getting old, GH3 + Lumix G Vario 35-100mm

Home, GH3 + Lumix G Vario 35-100mm

No comments:

Post a Comment